Hi all,

I just bought an FrSky Taranis for my quad copter and needed to get the Mavlink data up on the Taranis LCD telemetry display. So here is my solution using a Teensy3.1 as a converter between MavLink and the S.Port on FrSky X8R.

See attached file below...

Views: 281280

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I go to Telemetry... discover sensors. Works fine I can see the data fields populate with imfo.. I scroll down to screen 1 and and hit enter and all that shows up is 'None' like it can't find 'Main'... grrr!!! I know it's something stupid I'm doing but I don't know what it is :[ 

Paul Atherton said:

Awesome - you're definiteky getting there now! Don't forget that you really need to do the sensor discovery on the Taranis directly (rather than adding it all manually in Companion then downloading to the Taranis). The wiki explains it all here: https://github.com/athertop/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki/1.2.-FrSky-Tara...


Richard Kennedy said:

I do see this now in the bottom of the telemetry page...

Here's an exact copy of my SD card. If it needs edited feel free!! I think I set it up with google drive so anybody can edit it. I just don't have clue what the problem is. Sorry I know your busy working on 2.2 dev compatibility 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3MgBBZGOf88WTI0WTVLdEl3SFU


Paul Atherton said:

Awesome - you're definiteky getting there now! Don't forget that you really need to do the sensor discovery on the Taranis directly (rather than adding it all manually in Companion then downloading to the Taranis). The wiki explains it all here: https://github.com/athertop/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki/1.2.-FrSky-Tara...


Richard Kennedy said:

I do see this now in the bottom of the telemetry page...



Paul Atherton said:

Awesome - you're definiteky getting there now! Don't forget that you really need to do the sensor discovery on the Taranis directly (rather than adding it all manually in Companion then downloading to the Taranis). The wiki explains it all here: https://github.com/athertop/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki/1.2.-FrSky-Tara...


Richard Kennedy said:

I do see this now in the bottom of the telemetry page...

I don't get it... 

Paul Atherton said:

Awesome - you're definiteky getting there now! Don't forget that you really need to do the sensor discovery on the Taranis directly (rather than adding it all manually in Companion then downloading to the Taranis). The wiki explains it all here: https://github.com/athertop/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki/1.2.-FrSky-Tara...


Richard Kennedy said:

I do see this now in the bottom of the telemetry page...

Richard, traveling to French alps at moment, but as passenger I can take a look at your messages. Your Google Drive link seems to contain the SD card contents for Opentx 2.2-rc10. The rc11 version of Opentx just came out, so would suggest you upgrade. This new version has a new SD card download v6 so you will need this instead of the v5 version you have in Google Drive. Next you need to read the wiki which details what additional files from the project you need to add to the SD card contents. I provide replacement voice files for Opentx 2.2 in either the Available or Samantha voices (I find Ava to be the best one, and much nicer voice than the one provided in the OpenTx voice pack). Additionally, I provide voice files required for the telemetry project. The two choices are for either Ardupilot 3.2 or 3.3 (and newer). Again both available in either Ava or Samantha voice. You need to choose the correct version for your ardupilot version and add the required TELEM folder to the SD card SOUNDS/en folder you already copied. If you can tell me your version details for both Opentx and ardupilot, then I can put together the files you need in the Google Drive.

French alps… nice!!

Paul.. I am running ardupilot copter 3.4rc6  and ardupilot plane 3.7.1   and open tx 2.1.9
If you could look at my google sd card link and put the contents together with the Ava voice files and correct Lua that would be awesome!!! I think my problem is either A- I don’t have the correct sd card contents Or B in the wrong folder/s. I understand some things might not work %100 with ardupilot plane?? But that’s okay I understand your primary development is for copter. 
Thanks!



Paul Atherton said:

Richard, traveling to French alps at moment, but as passenger I can take a look at your messages. Your Google Drive link seems to contain the SD card contents for Opentx 2.2-rc10. The rc11 version of Opentx just came out, so would suggest you upgrade. This new version has a new SD card download v6 so you will need this instead of the v5 version you have in Google Drive. Next you need to read the wiki which details what additional files from the project you need to add to the SD card contents. I provide replacement voice files for Opentx 2.2 in either the Available or Samantha voices (I find Ava to be the best one, and much nicer voice than the one provided in the OpenTx voice pack). Additionally, I provide voice files required for the telemetry project. The two choices are for either Ardupilot 3.2 or 3.3 (and newer). Again both available in either Ava or Samantha voice. You need to choose the correct version for your ardupilot version and add the required TELEM folder to the SD card SOUNDS/en folder you already copied. If you can tell me your version details for both Opentx and ardupilot, then I can put together the files you need in the Google Drive.

Here is sort of a big picture. When I connect my Taranis to my computer via usb it shows up as two entities. Taranis and Taranis2... is this normal? On TARANIS it has the EPROM and FIRMWARE  the other Taranis2 has the SD card contents with all the items copied over . I copied my models to the models folder as well. And yet when I go to the telemetry page down to page1 it says there are no scripts.?? I don't understand why even with the SD card removed from the TX when turned on it still shows all my models ?? Sorry I know a lot of my problem is my lack of knowledge about how the Taranis all works.. You just make the Lua code I know. I'm just stuck don't know what to try next. 

Paul Atherton said:

Richard, traveling to French alps at moment, but as passenger I can take a look at your messages. Your Google Drive link seems to contain the SD card contents for Opentx 2.2-rc10. The rc11 version of Opentx just came out, so would suggest you upgrade. This new version has a new SD card download v6 so you will need this instead of the v5 version you have in Google Drive. Next you need to read the wiki which details what additional files from the project you need to add to the SD card contents. I provide replacement voice files for Opentx 2.2 in either the Available or Samantha voices (I find Ava to be the best one, and much nicer voice than the one provided in the OpenTx voice pack). Additionally, I provide voice files required for the telemetry project. The two choices are for either Ardupilot 3.2 or 3.3 (and newer). Again both available in either Ava or Samantha voice. You need to choose the correct version for your ardupilot version and add the required TELEM folder to the SD card SOUNDS/en folder you already copied. If you can tell me your version details for both Opentx and ardupilot, then I can put together the files you need in the Google Drive.

It seems like I have something going on with my radio. In fact it acts exactly the same wether I have the sd card in the radio or not! That can't be right.  BTW I added my models to the models folder after that screen dump showing the SD card. 



Richard Kennedy said:

Here is sort of a big picture. When I connect my Taranis to my computer via usb it shows up as two entities. Taranis and Taranis2... is this normal? On TARANIS it has the EPROM and FIRMWARE  the other Taranis2 has the SD card contents with all the items copied over . I copied my models to the models folder as well. And yet when I go to the telemetry page down to page1 it says there are no scripts.?? I don't understand why even with the SD card removed from the TX when turned on it still shows all my models ?? Sorry I know a lot of my problem is my lack of knowledge about how the Taranis all works.. You just make the Lua code I know. I'm just stuck don't know what to try next. 

Paul Atherton said:

Richard, traveling to French alps at moment, but as passenger I can take a look at your messages. Your Google Drive link seems to contain the SD card contents for Opentx 2.2-rc10. The rc11 version of Opentx just came out, so would suggest you upgrade. This new version has a new SD card download v6 so you will need this instead of the v5 version you have in Google Drive. Next you need to read the wiki which details what additional files from the project you need to add to the SD card contents. I provide replacement voice files for Opentx 2.2 in either the Available or Samantha voices (I find Ava to be the best one, and much nicer voice than the one provided in the OpenTx voice pack). Additionally, I provide voice files required for the telemetry project. The two choices are for either Ardupilot 3.2 or 3.3 (and newer). Again both available in either Ava or Samantha voice. You need to choose the correct version for your ardupilot version and add the required TELEM folder to the SD card SOUNDS/en folder you already copied. If you can tell me your version details for both Opentx and ardupilot, then I can put together the files you need in the Google Drive.

> Here is sort of a big picture. When I connect my Taranis to my computer via usb it shows up as two entities. Taranis and > Taranis2... is this normal?

Yes, do not mess with the EPROM or FIRMWARE on that 'mounted' device.

> On TARANIS it has the EPROM and FIRMWARE  the other Taranis2 has the SD card contents with all the items copied > over . I copied my models to the models folder as well. And yet when I go to the telemetry page down to page1 it
> says there are no scripts.?? I don't understand why even with the SD card removed from the TX when turned on it still > shows all my models ??

The models you fly and modify are contained in the transmitter.  Consider the files on the SDCard as your backups.  If you modify a model in the Transmitter, make sure you backup the changes to the SDCard.

> Sorry I know a lot of my problem is my lack of knowledge about how the Taranis all works.. You just make the Lua code I > know. I'm just stuck don't know what to try next.

Make sure you have 'LUA' enabled in the FIRMWARE load you are running in the Taranis.  The first page has 'LUA' and it MUST be checked and the firmware downloaded and loaded into the Taranis for LUA to
function.



HTH.

Garry



Richard Kennedy said:

It seems like I have something going on with my radio. In fact it acts exactly the same wether I have the sd card in the radio or not! That can't be right.  BTW I added my models to the models folder after that screen dump showing the SD card. 



Richard Kennedy said:

Here is sort of a big picture. When I connect my Taranis to my computer via usb it shows up as two entities. Taranis and Taranis2... is this normal? On TARANIS it has the EPROM and FIRMWARE  the other Taranis2 has the SD card contents with all the items copied over . I copied my models to the models folder as well. And yet when I go to the telemetry page down to page1 it says there are no scripts.?? I don't understand why even with the SD card removed from the TX when turned on it still shows all my models ?? Sorry I know a lot of my problem is my lack of knowledge about how the Taranis all works.. You just make the Lua code I know. I'm just stuck don't know what to try next. 

Paul Atherton said:

Richard, traveling to French alps at moment, but as passenger I can take a look at your messages. Your Google Drive link seems to contain the SD card contents for Opentx 2.2-rc10. The rc11 version of Opentx just came out, so would suggest you upgrade. This new version has a new SD card download v6 so you will need this instead of the v5 version you have in Google Drive. Next you need to read the wiki which details what additional files from the project you need to add to the SD card contents. I provide replacement voice files for Opentx 2.2 in either the Available or Samantha voices (I find Ava to be the best one, and much nicer voice than the one provided in the OpenTx voice pack). Additionally, I provide voice files required for the telemetry project. The two choices are for either Ardupilot 3.2 or 3.3 (and newer). Again both available in either Ava or Samantha voice. You need to choose the correct version for your ardupilot version and add the required TELEM folder to the SD card SOUNDS/en folder you already copied. If you can tell me your version details for both Opentx and ardupilot, then I can put together the files you need in the Google Drive.

Richard, I am in the process of uploading the entire SD card content for your setup to your Google drive. The folders under the path you sent me, should be placed on your SD card after first deleting everything you have there at present. It may take another 20mins or so for drive on my Mac to finish the upload, so maybe look at this tomorrow to make sure all has finished copying.

Just to answer one of your previous questions: it is correct that you see two drives appear when you connect the Taranis to your Mac. The first folder is called Taranis - this is actually the EEPROM memory of the taranis, and used only by Companion for its connection to your Taranis when you upload/download settings. The second drive that appears is the SD card itself. You can rename this if you want.

Cheers, Paul 

Me again.. so I understand why when I connect my Taranis with the usb it shows up as two drives. One is the Taranis... one is the sd card. Got it. I updated my taranis to 2.2 I downloaded the sd file structure of 2.2v0006 as my Taranis informed me it expected when I power it up after installing the 2.2rc10 firmware.  I tried in vain to copy over the correct scripts and sound files from your page but I am confused because the new sd file structure doesn't look the same as your page shows. In fact there isn't even a 'models' folder. Isn't that where my eepe files would go? But anyway I must have gotten some files out of place because whenI put it back in the TX it said I now have the wrong card.. SOB!!!!!! ha Driving me nuts! Here's another new editable google sd card file link. I swear by God if you edit that to work with 2.2 I will have a hot blonde in a bikini deliver to your door a case of the coldest beer you ever tasted!!! LOL https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3MgBBZGOf88N3E5ZUlNOUU3blk

ps I have companion 2.2rc10 I used that to get the the firmware from here 

http://www.open-tx.org/2017/01/27/opentx-2.2.0RC10  [ I didn't get rc11 at the time because at that time I was hoping my sd card would work ] 

Opps I didn't see this until now... Thanks!! 



Paul Atherton said:

Richard, I am in the process of uploading the entire SD card content for your setup to your Google drive. The folders under the path you sent me, should be placed on your SD card after first deleting everything you have there at present. It may take another 20mins or so for drive on my Mac to finish the upload, so maybe look at this tomorrow to make sure all has finished copying.

Just to answer one of your previous questions: it is correct that you see two drives appear when you connect the Taranis to your Mac. The first folder is called Taranis - this is actually the EEPROM memory of the taranis, and used only by Companion for its connection to your Taranis when you upload/download settings. The second drive that appears is the SD card itself. You can rename this if you want.

Cheers, Paul 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2017   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service